How Much Auto Insurance Policies Driver Must Have When You Live Between States

Dec 8th, 2011 | By Hot News Reporter | Category: Insurance Today

Auto insurance is essential and if you move back and forth between states for a major part of the year, you need to comply with the rules and regulations of the states. However, it is important to check for the rules governing both the states in order to have a clear idea of the coverage you need. States take their auto insurance laws very seriously and failure to comply with them can lead to suspension of your driving license and even a jail term. No matter which state you may drive in you will need to posses adequate auto insurance. The details of car insurance requirements are available with insurance company representatives. Alternatively, you can contact the Department of Motor Vehicles in both states to determine the amount of coverage required.

Many drivers are faced with the dilemma of having adequate auto insurance when they live between states most of the year. This also includes a number of businessmen, college students, and those who own two homes in different states. Some states require that you possess an insurance policy of the state your car is registered with. However, other states may require you to purchase a policy of the state that you are driving in. If you register your car in New York but purchase an insurance policy in the state of Georgia you will need to purchase another policy when you desire to drive in New York. Each state has its own laws, therefore, it is prudent to consult your insurance advisor before purchasing car insurance in any state. He or she will be in the best position to determine what policy will work best in your situation.

Often, drivers do not realize that the necessity for proper insurance when they are insured and registered only in their home state. Out of state car insurance is an option that many drivers have at their disposal. There are rules specially designed for out of state drivers, which once again varies from state to state. However, there is usually a threshold of 90 days in a year, whereby a driver that exceeds it must obtain suitable auto insurance in the state in which they are driving. The bottom line is that drivers who live between states often need to purchase out of state coverage and register their vehicle in that state as well. This ensures that drivers are adequately insured and do not take advantage of cheaper insurance in one state alone.

Bookmark and Share

Leave Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.